Monday, April 20, 2015

Kids these days

I flopped on my sandals and hopped on my mountain bike to ride to the public library to do some work. On the way I saw an emerging homosexual middle schooler hunched over, apparently suffering from ED, emotional dysfunction.  His dejected posture revealed an obvious inability to communicate effectively with himself, the universe, and to women or anyone save his BFF's who stick with the topic of murderous video games. Honest communication is so difficult while under pressure.  And anything other than staring at a smartphone or mentally blanking out at a teacher wanking out a biased history lesson could be considered stress.


"Hi, I see that you're waiting helplessly for your Mommy to pick you up?"

"uh. ahh. Yeah"

"Drop the fear act.  I know...You're not used to people saying the truth straight up, you are used to , hi how are you fine ."

"ok"

"I'm looking to sell this old bicycle of mine, and the person who trades me their money acquires a vehicle that beacons in comparison to green paper and your current state of powerlessness."

"ehh?"

"If you buy this bike, you can own your power to get to and from school, become a man, stop polluting the air.

"When she picks me up I gotta go right away"

"Most people don't perform well under stress.  When you get this bike, you'll begin transformation into the 1%.  You've got the build of a climber and will smash up the local Strava leaderboards within two years. You'll perform under great stress and succeed, kid.  Don't you want to succeed? "

"Let me ask my Mom, will you be around tomorrow?"

"I don't know, kid. Sometimes you gotta make your own decisions.  Follow your gut, kid."

Now, as I write this in the Library, another kid is on speaker phone to a friend. A guy with shin high white tubular socks cherishes the opportunity to remind the youngster of classic rules.

Times are always a changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment